Tension brewed on Thursday, August 14, at the Randall Street office of Mercury-Liberia after employees stormed the company’s offices in demand of their salaries.They were demanding that the company settle their arrears, when executives announced that their contracts had been terminated due to the rapid spread of the Ebola virus in the country.Mercury-Liberia is the operator of the Premier Sports Betting Games in Liberia.The employees in an interview with the Daily Observer described the termination of their contract as “illegal” and called on government to hold the company responsible to pay them off.The employees through their spokesperson, Barnabas S. Nagbe, explained they were shocked to hear from the company’s management about the termination of their contract. “They told us in the meeting that they were suspending their activities in the country, due to the outbreak of the Ebola virus,” Nagbe said, quoting the company’s management.“Because of that they wrote and informed us that they have agreed to terminate the contract we have with them,” he narrated.“We know about the Ebola outbreak in the country; but, if they are terminating our contact, then they need to pay us for the remaining months. We signed a one-year contract with the company; and if they are terminating the contract, they need to pay us,” Nagbe further explained.He called on the national government to intervene and have the company settle their arrears.However, the communication of termination of contract, a copy of which is in the possession of the Daily Observer reads: “Following calls from the Liberian authorities restricting large gatherings of people in response to the Ebola virus, which is affecting many Liberians, we at Mercury-Liberia, wish to take our responsibilities seriously and are deeply committed in helping in the national efforts.“Therefore, from Wednesday August 13, we have taken the decision to close gaming centers in line with government advice.“All of our lotto games and sports betting games will be temporarily closed to protect all of you and us and for the company to play its part in helping stop the spread of the Ebola virus.“Sadly, this means, in line with your contract, we have to give you one month advance to terminate your contract with effect from Wednesday, August 13.”In conclusion, the communication said, “You will be paid one month salary for August and half of your salary for September, taking you up to the 13th of September.“You will not be required working for this period, but will continue to be paid until September 13, in line with Liberian laws.”When the management of Mercury-Liberia was contacted through mobile phone, they could not deny nor confirm the communication.Instead, they told our reporter that they would issue a response in due course.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pexels under CC0 Creative Commons license The merger between accountants and advisers BDO LLP and Moore Stephens LLP in London was completed earlier this month.Clients of the merged firm, BDO, will have access to offices in over 160 countries with a presence in every major shipping location in the world, the parties informed.“Both BDO and Moore Stephens LLP have for many years been leading accountants and advisers to the shipping and transport sector. We are confident our clients will now benefit greatly from having access to the combined resources of the two firms,” Michael Simms, Partner and Head, Shipping & Transport at BDO, said.“The merger enables us to deliver the ever-increasing range and depth of solutions demanded by our clients, who can expect the same high-quality, industry-leading service to which they have become accustomed.”
Kari-Pekka Laaksonen, the Chief Executive Officer of boxship operator Containerships, has announced his decision to resign from the position.The company’s board of directors is to meet on March 29 to find a successor for Laaksonen.Laaksonen will remain in his position until his replacement is effective.French liner CMA CGM Group is set to propose Claude Lebel, current CEO of MacAndrews Gmbh, for the role.CMA CGM earlier decided to merge Containerships and MacAndrews brands under the single Containerships brand from April 1, 2019. The French shipping major said the move would combine the two companies’ maritime and inland solutions with complementary regional footprints.CMA CGM acquired Finland-based Containerships in October 2018. The acquisition added four LNG-powered 1,400 TEU vessels to its fleet.
Former UEFA president Michel Platini, revealed that choosing the Ballon d’Or has never been easier as he would vote Raphael Varane.It appears that former UEFA president Michel Platini, doesn’t really care about trends as he would choose France defender Raphael Varane to win the Ballon d’Or this year.The achievements that players like Luka Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Antoine Griezmann, and even Kylian Mbappé are not important to him.In Platini’s view, the prize should go to the only player who won the two major trophies of the year, which are the World Cup and the Champions League.Raphael Varane did have a starring role in both competitions for Real Madrid and France, but the defender is far from the type of player that usually gets picked to win the Ballon d’Or.Also, there is a very slim chance for Varane to be the player who breaks the 10-year tradition of giving the award to either Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo.Even the Argentine who won none of those important trophies that Platini considers for giving the prize, has a far better chance of being in the podium than Raphael Varane ever will.The France international also has at least another three compatriots to worry about if he wanted to pick up the prize at this year’s ceremony in Paris, his teammates Kylian Mbappé, Antoine Griezmann, and N’Golo Kanté have a better chance than he does to be part of the ceremony.”It has never been easier to choose a Ballon d’Or winner. Only one player won both the World Cup and the Champions League – his name is Raphaël Varane.”– Michel Platini pic.twitter.com/aRskpd7eUD— FourFourTweet (@FourFourTweet) October 30, 2018There is still no clue to which player will be part of the podium for the award, but the favorites to be part of it are still Luka Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Antoine Griezmann.Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappé, does have a slight chance of sneaking in the final three players who will fight for the award, Lionel Messi does too because of his impressive stats from 2018.But the most obvious choices are the three players who were recently mentioned, with Griezmann edging out as the clear favorite given that he won the Europa League and the World Cup this year.Actually, when Platini spoke to RMC Radio via L’Equipe, it seemed like he was talking about Griezmann but he surprised everyone when he revealed that his top choice was Varane.Opinion: Neymar will earn respect back from the PSG fans Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After completing his incredible return to Parc des Princes, we predict that Neymar will earn the respect back from PSG supporters.The situation between Neymar…“There has never been an easier decision on who should win the Ballon d’Or. There is only one player that has won the European Cup and World Cup,” said Platini.“Normally there is a debate between Ronaldo or Messi, Messi or Ronaldo, but this year only one player has won all that. His name is Varane, and besides that, he is an excellent player… very, very good.”“Results are the only the objective factor. You can have your opinions about Griezmann, Mbappé… but the only one that has won it all, the two most important competitions, is Raphael Varane,” he continued.Michel Platini vote Raphaël Varane pour le Ballon d’or https://t.co/sMpTyS7ciB pic.twitter.com/OWKdoqjal6— L’ÉQUIPE (@lequipe) October 30, 2018We are closing in the final stages of the year and the ceremony is closer every day, December 3rd is the key for anybody who is keeping tabs on this major event as we are.The day in which the Ronaldo/Messi era will come to an end, at least for a year because we don’t think that either of both players is done winning any more individual accolades, they are just taking a small break.We are certain that both of them will keep on playing at the same level for the next five years at least, and they will both be an important part of the next individual prize podiums.There is even a big chance of Cristiano Ronaldo winning his sixth Ballon d’Or and he finally beats Messi, an ambition he has pursued throughout his whole career and something that could finally happen before the end of the year.The problem here is that France Football organizes the ceremony, a French publication that has been rooting for a Frenchman to win the award this year.But make no mistake, Platini’s wishes are unlikely to become a reality as Raphael Varane will most certainly not win the prize.El Balón de Oro debe de ser para Varane: Platini https://t.co/Lk7qe9b1Bc pic.twitter.com/y7EqZ83FyM— José López (@jjlogo151) October 31, 2018Who will win the Ballon d’Or this year? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.
Security Comments 6 Share your voice James Martin/CNET The American Civil Liberties Union is keeping up its pressure against Amazon’s practice of selling facial-recognition tech to law enforcement.Two days ahead of Amazon’s annual shareholder meeting, the civil rights group sent a letter imploring the company’s shareholders to vote in favor of two proposals that could curb the use of the tech company’s Rekognition software.”Without shareholder action, Amazon may soon become known more for its role in facilitating pervasive government surveillance than for its consumer retail operations,” the letter states.The proposals call for the company to ban its sale of Rekognition to law enforcement and for Amazon to study its use by police.Amazon’s board recommends that shareholders vote against both proposals, which makes the passage of either proposal unlikely. CEO and founder Jeff Bezos, a board member, controls about 16% of Amazon’s shares and isn’t expected to vote for these proposals.The letter, one of several ACLU actions that calls attention to facial recognition tech, comes as efforts to curb law enforcement’s use of facial recognition gains momentum around the country. Last week, San Francisco became the first city to bar police from using the technology. Oakland, California, and Somerville, Massachusetts, are both considering similar bans, and the Massachusetts legislature is considering a statewide moratorium.Amazon inserted itself into the debate in Washington state, where the legislature this year considered a moratorium on police use of facial-recognition tech. Amazon, along with Microsoft, threw its support behind a competing data privacy measure that didn’t ban law enforcement from using facial recognition. The state Senate passed the less restrictive bill in March, and it’s currently making its way through the state House of Representatives.The California legislature is considering a ban on facial recognition in police body cameras. The state Assembly passed the bill in early May, and it’s currently being considered by the state Senate. Assemblyman Phil Ting, a Democrat from San Francisco, introduced the bill. Last year, Ting worked on legislation to increase the use of body cameras. The idea was to increase police accountability and build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve. Banning surveillance tools on the body cameras seemed like the next logical step, he told CNET.”The last thing we wanted to do was erode that trust by installing facial recognition software on body cameras,” Ting said. Tags Amazon