“Any high level participation or engagement from the Indian side in the CHOGM will not only embolden the Lankan regime but also incense public opinion and sentiment in Tamil Nadu on this very sensitive issue even further,” said Jayalalithaa in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, strongly urging him not to attend the November 15-17 meeting in Colombo. The Prime Minister of Canada had already announced that he will not participate in the CHOGM, a top-level summit of the 54 member states, if Lanka failed to improve the efforts on rehabilitation of the war-affected Tamil population and fixing accountability for alleged crimes during the last phase of its war with Tamil rebels. After series of appeals and protests over India’s stand on Sri Lanka at the UNHRC that led to turmoil in Tamil Nadu and a political upheaval in Delhi, the Centre is under pressure from Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK president M Karunanidhi to boycott an important international summit slated to be held in Colombo later this year, the New India Express reported.Archrivals Jayalalithaa and Karunanidhi found themselves on the same platform when they raised the demand that the venue for Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) be shifted from Sri Lanka, failing which India should boycott the summit and lobby among member states to follow suit so as to put pressure on the Lankan government over allegations of genocide, war crimes and human rights violations. The issue also figured in the executive committee meeting of the DMK that was held on Monday. In a resolution, the former UPA ally, which had assumed a belligerent posture on dealing with Lanka, urged the Centre to take lead in boycotting the summit. “We urge the Commonwealth that the meeting should not be held in Colombo for whatever reasons. If our appeal is not met, India should stay away respecting the sentiments of Tamils across the world,” read the resolution.
Restaurant Brands International wants Tim Hortons to be as ubiquitous as BurgerRestaurant Brands International wants Tim Hortons to be as ubiquitous as Burger
Restaurant Brands International wants Tim Hortons to be as ubiquitous as Burger King by Linda Nguyen, The Canadian Press Posted Aug 4, 2016 5:47 am MDT Last Updated Aug 4, 2016 at 9:40 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email The owner of Tim Hortons says it plans on making the Canadian coffee shop as ubiquitous around the world as the American fast-food chain Burger King.“There is really no limit on how far the Tim’s brand can travel,” said Daniel Schwartz, CEO of Restaurant Brands International, the multinational parent company of both restaurant chains.Schwartz told analysts in a call Thursday that the company sees both brands have an opportunity to grow on a global basis.During the second quarter, the number of Tim Hortons locations increased about three per cent to 4,464 stores, while Burger King restaurants jumped about four per cent to 15,100 locations during the second quarter.Last month, the company announced that it was opening a Tim Hortons in the Philippines, its first foray into southeast Asia. No launch date has been set.Restaurant Brands (TSX:QSR) reported a big jump in its quarterly profit despite flat revenue compared with the same time last year, which it attributed to the negative impact of currency fluctuations.It earned net income for common shareholders of US$90.9 million or 38 cents per share in the three months ended June 30. That’s up from US$11.0 million or five cents per RBI share in the second quarter of 2015.Last year’s profit was reduced by one-time costs associated with RBI’s acquisition of the Tim Hortons restaurant chain. Excluding those and other items, RBI’s adjusted net income was $192.4 million or 41 cents per share, up from $141.0 million or 30 cents per share a year earlier.Comparable restaurant sales grew 2.7 per cent at Tim Hortons in the quarter, and Burger King sales were up by 0.6 per cent.Revenue was little changed at US$1.04 billion, including $759.8 million from Tim Hortons and $280.4 million from Burger King.Schwartz said the company is staying focused on their expansion strategy despite seeing softness in the quick-service restaurant industry in the quarter.He declined to provide a reason for the softness, but other industry executives have cited weakening consumer confidence amid political and global uncertainty. Analysts have also noted that the increasing competition over promotional deals, as well as the growth of smaller, independent players.In an interview prior to the call, chief financial officer Joshua Kobza said RBI plans on continuing to expand its lunch offerings at Tim Hortons, which recently launched new menu items such as potato wedges and salads.He said the company also wants to improve its late afternoon and evening menus, but is not looking at duplicating the business model of its competitor Starbucks, which recently began offering customers alcohol and tapas.— With files from The Associated PressFollow @LindaNguyenTO on Twitter.