“Any high level participation or engagement from the Indian side in the CHOGM will not only embolden the Lankan regime but also incense public opinion and sentiment in Tamil Nadu on this very sensitive issue even further,” said Jayalalithaa in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, strongly urging him not to attend the November 15-17 meeting in Colombo. The Prime Minister of Canada had already announced that he will not participate in the CHOGM, a top-level summit of the 54 member states, if Lanka failed to improve the efforts on rehabilitation of the war-affected Tamil population and fixing accountability for alleged crimes during the last phase of its war with Tamil rebels. After series of appeals and protests over India’s stand on Sri Lanka at the UNHRC that led to turmoil in Tamil Nadu and a political upheaval in Delhi, the Centre is under pressure from Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK president M Karunanidhi to boycott an important international summit slated to be held in Colombo later this year, the New India Express reported.Archrivals Jayalalithaa and Karunanidhi found themselves on the same platform when they raised the demand that the venue for Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) be shifted from Sri Lanka, failing which India should boycott the summit and lobby among member states to follow suit so as to put pressure on the Lankan government over allegations of genocide, war crimes and human rights violations. The issue also figured in the executive committee meeting of the DMK that was held on Monday. In a resolution, the former UPA ally, which had assumed a belligerent posture on dealing with Lanka, urged the Centre to take lead in boycotting the summit. “We urge the Commonwealth that the meeting should not be held in Colombo for whatever reasons. If our appeal is not met, India should stay away respecting the sentiments of Tamils across the world,” read the resolution.
Diamec Smart coring rigs reduce underground drilling hazardsDiamec Smart coring rigs reduce underground drilling hazards
Atlas Copco has introduced core drilling rigs that it says eliminate many of the hazardous operations for mines involved in underground core drilling.The risk of handling inner tubes and drill rods, while extracting core samples, is a well-known problem for drillers around the world. Despite safety regulations, accidents with severe injuries still occur. Atlas Copco’s Diamec Smart core drilling rigs have an advanced control system that enables automatic functions such as drilling and adding and removing of rods.By using the unique rod handler, the operator can perform the work from a safe distance. All adding and removal of in the hole (ITH) equipment are done automatically. The automatic functions is not only increasing the safety for the operators, it also improves the working environment and increases the productivity. A 3 m long inner tube with core samples can weigh about 100 kg and the handling is heavy and hazardous. The rod handler eliminates operator fatigue and helps keeping the pace during an entire shift.Martin Sommers, Vice President Marketing – Exploration Equipment at Atlas Copco, explains: “There is an increasing focus on safety within the mining industry and the new Diamec Smart series sets a new standard for underground core drilling rigs. Customers that have tried automatic drilling and rod handling never want to go back to the old way of drilling.”The new improved control system on the Diamec Smart is based on the Rig Control System (RCS) that is used for all drilling rigs from the Mining and Rock excavation business area at Atlas Copco. More than 20 important improvements have been made in both hardware and software compared to the previous control system, making it even more robust and reliable.