The pressure used by the US and Iraqi authorities in an attempt to prevent the website Wikileaks from releasing about 400,000 “classified” US military documents about the war in Iraq was both absurd and contrary to the principle of access to public information. The documents shed light on the scale of the violence that the US-led coalition and its Iraqi allies have used against the civilian population since 2003.“This is not the moment for threats or verbal attacks,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The information has been released and more releases are expected to follow. The documents provided by Wikileaks confirm what US and international public opinion already knows for the most part. The politicians and military personnel responsible will one day have to account for their actions. In the name of human rights and respect for the right to information, the US and Iraqi governments ought to abide by the principle of transparency.”“Thanks to Wikileaks, serious human rights violations have been revealed, especially cases of torture and mistreatment of detainees,” the press freedom organization added. “We congratulate the media that have covered the released information without being intimidated by the usual Pentagon rhetoric urging them not to publish information deemed to pose a threat to national security.”Five days before the release, the Pentagon asked the media not to cooperate in the leaking of documents about the war in Iraq. US military spokesman Col. David Laplan said: “News organizations should be cautioned not to facilitate the leaking of classified documents with this disreputable organization known as Wikileaks.” The media provide “a veneer of legitimacy to Wikileaks” by relaying its leaks, he added.Similar criticism was levelled against two leading U.S. dailies a few years ago. The Washington Post revealed the existence of secret CIA prisons in Europe and the New York Times revealed in 2005 that the Bush administration had launched a programme three years earlier under which the phone of millions of U.S. and foreign citizens had been illegally tapped. Both newspapers were accused of having “blood on their hands.”Reporters Without Borders hails the cooperation between Wikileaks and several international media that has resulted in attention being drawn to information of public interest for U.S. and Iraqi citizens and the international community. This is a successful example of synergy between “traditional” and “new” media that has allowed journalists to be able to interpret this unedited mass of documents. Reporters Without Borders is pleased to note that the names of civilians seem to have been redacted from these documents.The U.S. and Iraqi authorities should now review their practices regarding access to public information. “We call for the strict implementation of the Freedom of Information Act guidelines that attorney general Eric Holder issued in 2009, under which the withholding of information is meant to be the exception (http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2009/March/09-ag-253.html),” Reporters Without Borders said. “The U.S. administration should take account of these guidelines and should properly investigate the CIA’s destruction of videos and evidence, and should inform the public about the current status of the phone-tapping programme which the National Security Agency began in 2002.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We urge the Iraqi authorities to understand Wikileaks’ work is a way of guaranteeing the media better access to information and building an Iraqi democracy that respects fundamental freedoms.”Reporters Without Borders is extremely concerned about the harassment of those who cooperate with Wikileaks and condemns any attempt to block or censor the website. Bradley Manning, a Baghdad-based U.S. army intelligence analyst, was arrested on a charge of treason on 6 June. He is suspected of leaking confidential material to Wikileaks, including a video of a US helicopter airstrike in Baghdad in July 2007 in which two Reuters employees were killed.“We are particularly worried about Bradley Manning,” Reporters Without Borders added. “No proper investigation into that Baghdad tragedy has been carried out. Manning, who is just an army private, has been made the scapegoat and it is unclear what will now happen to him. This is unjust. It is not a crime to reveal a war crime.” Organisation Follow the news on United States Help by sharing this information News Receive email alerts News to go further Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says June 7, 2021 Find out more News April 28, 2021 Find out more WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists October 25, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for transparency on the part of US and Iraqi authorities after Wikileaks revelations RSF_en United StatesAmericas June 3, 2021 Find out more United StatesAmericas NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say News
LYONS, Ohio – Drivers in a sixth sanctioned division are in line for awards from Dominator Race Products this season.The Lyons, Ohio, manufacturer gives nosepiece kits to 11th and 12th place drivers in both Northern and Southern regions for IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks.Nosepiece kits again go to 11th through 20th place finishers in the Deery Brothers Summer Series for IMCA Late Models, ninth and 10th place finishers in each of the five regions for Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modifieds and in national point standings for Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods and Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center Southern SportMods, and to 11th and 12th place finishers in both IMCA Sunoco Stock Car regions.“As we enter our eighth season as an IMCA sponsor, it is our pleasure at Dominator Race Products to be able to award nosepiece kits to the addition of the Hobby Stock division. This is a great way to let racers from all over know that we appreciate all their work and dedication to the sport,” said Bentley Shaw. “Thank you to IMCA for the continuing work and thank you to the racers and crews for their continuing efforts on the track. Best of luck in this racing season.”Award certificates will be presented during the national awards banquet in November or mailed beginning the following week from the IMCA home office.Information about Dominator products is available by calling 419 923-6970, on Facebook and at the www.dominatorraceproducts.com website.“We continue to try and add value to our members through our partnership programs and the addition of nosepieces for Hobby Stocks accomplishes that goal,” emphasized IMCA Marketing Director Kevin Yoder. “The Dominator piece is a great option and one we endorse.”
BOONE, Iowa – Seven of the first 15 drivers elected to the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational will make career-first starts when the event hits the track Friday, Sept. 7 at Boone Speedway.First-time All-Stars are Troy Foulger, Chaz Baca, Zachary Madrid, Shane Hiatt, Tyler Frye, Chris Elliott and Austin Wonch.Steven Bowers Jr. was elected to his second All-Star race, Will Ward to his third and Hunter Marriott and Kevin Sustaire both to their fourth.Richie Gustin and A.J. Ward are both in for the fifth time, Ricky Thornton Jr. and William Gould both for the sixth.Thornton, who became a new father earlier this week, had the top vote total among the 139 drivers on the first-round ballot.Three drivers were elected from each region, with candidacy based on where drivers were racing most. Ten states are represented by the first group of All-Stars.Baca, Foulger and Madrid advance from the Western region, Bowers, Frye and Hiatt from the Central, Gustin, Marriott and Thornton from the North Central, Elliott, Gould and Sustaire from the South Central, and A.J. Ward, Will Ward and Wonch from the Eastern.Facebook voting resumes at noon CST Monday, July 30 and runs through 4 p.m. CST Thursday, Aug. 2 to elect another 13 All-Stars, from the at-large pool of the next top 25 vote recipients.Those All-Stars will be elected regardless of home region.Completing the starting grid for the 30-lapper will be All-Star candidates with the top national point total and the most 40-point feature wins as of Aug. 31 competing at the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s.The 15th annual Invitational pays $1,000 to win and $200 to start.