Djokovic, Federer Drawn in Same Group at ATP Finals in London

first_imgEarlier yesterday, Nadal said he plans to compete in London, despite pulling out of last week’s Paris Masters.The Spaniard said an MRI scan had confirmed a “small” abdominal injury, which forced him to withdraw from the semi-finals in Paris.Despite pulling out, Nadal overtook Djokovic at the top of the rankings this week but could lose the position as year-end number one in London.If the Spaniard does not play or fails to win a round-robin match at the ATP Finals, Djokovic will take top spot if he wins two group-stage matches and reaches the final.Djokovic will also finish the year as number one if he wins the tournament and Nadal does not reach the semi-finals.The ATP Finals are the season-ending championships featuring the year’s eight best players and has been held at London’s O2 Arena since 2009.The players play three round-robin matches with the top two in each group progressing to the semi-finals.Britain’s Joe Salisbury and partner Rajeev Ram are in the doubles competition and play Raven Klaasen and Michael Venus in the opening match at 12:00 GMT on Sunday.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer have been drawn in the same group at the ATP Finals tournament, which starts on Sunday at London’s O2 Arena.Five-time winner Djokovic and six-time winner Federer are drawn alongside Dominic Thiem and Matteo Berrettini.World number one Rafael Nadal is in a group with Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev.last_img read more

Blazers claim No. 3 seed with win over Utah

first_imgMOST READ P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Before the game Terry Stotts said the outcome of the Pelicans’ finale against the Spurs was unlikely to have an impact on how Portland approached the Jazz. New Orleans won 112-98.“Like I told the team, winning the division is a big deal. It’s always going to be there. It’s always going to be in the rafters, the banner will be up in the practice facility,” Stotts said afterward. “It’s been an up and down season, but I’m really pleased with the way we played tonight. We played well, and have some momentum going into the playoffs.”Dante Exum, who left Utah’s victory against the Warriors the night before with leg soreness, played for 20 minutes with six points.The Blazers went up 39-27 on McCollum’s reverse layup in the second quarter and led by as many as 16 points in the first half. Portland led 55-41 at the break and Lillard led all scorers with 19 points.No Jazz player was in double figures. Mitchell struggled in the first half, going 3-for-13 from the field.McCollum wrestled a rebound and got the jumper from close in to give the Blazers a 67-50 lead. Lillard’s layup ended the third quarter with Portland 80-59.Portland extended the lead to as many as 24 points, but the Jazz closed with within 85-74 with 7:39 left on Mitchell’s layup and a free throw. Lillard came back in the game and made three jumpers to push Portland’s lead to 91-76.“This group’s had an excellent season. They year isn’t over,” Jazz coach Quin Snyder said. “We have a chance to play in the post-season. That’s something that these guys have accomplished.”TIP INS:Jazz: Derrick Favors played in his 500th game with the Jazz. He’s the 12th player in franchise history to reach the milestone. … It was Gobert’s 31st double-double of the season. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Damian Lillard had 36 points and 10 assists and the Blazers snapped a four-game losing streak with a 102-93 victory over the Jazz Wednesday night to earn the Northwest Division title.With the win in the regular-season finale, Portland claimed the third seed in the Western Conference and will play the sixth-seeded New Orleans Pelicans in the opening round.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“One game and we’re playing for the third spot and the division championship,” Lillard said about the team’s motivation against the Jazz. “And that’s something to be proud of it. That’s something to care about and to play for. We worked too hard not to go and get that, especially on our home floor.”The Jazz, who saw a six-game winning streak snapped, fell to the fifth seed. They’ll face No. 4 Oklahoma City on the road to open the playoffs. The schedule had not been set. Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard, right, drives to the basket past Utah Jazz guard Ricky Rubio, left, during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Portland, Ore., Wednesday, April 11, 2018. The Blazers won 102-93. (AP Photo/Steve Dykes)PORTLAND, Ore. — The Trail Blazers already knew their opponent for the first round playoffs, and they had already locked up home-court advantage.But they were still inspired for their regular-season finale against the Utah Jazz.ADVERTISEMENT Utah rookie Donovan Mitchell, who the night before set the new single-season record for 3-pointers with 186 — breaking Lillard’s rookie mark — was 1-for-8 from the perimeter but finished with 17 points.Ricky Rubio also had 17 while Rudy Gobert had 13 points and 13 rebounds for the Jazz, who were coming off a 119-79 victory at home against the Warriors on Tuesday night.“We rushed a little bit. We weren’t all on the same page at times,” Mitchell said. “We were really taken off our course. When they get into you, you gotta get the guy off you and make the play. Over time that really disrupts you.”CJ McCollum had 19 points for the Blazers, who led by as many as 24 points in the second half.For both teams, the game was all about seeding because the first-round playoff matches were determined earlier in the evening. The Blazers secured home-court advantage for the first round for the first time since 2009.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident LATEST STORIES Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Lakers cap off 35-win season with beating of Clippers Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Trail Blazers: Maurice Harkless told reporters before the game that it was unclear if he’d be able to return in the first round. Harkless had arthroscopy on his left knee on March 28. … Evan Turner won the team’s Maurice Lucas Award as the player who best represents Lucas’ spirit in his contributions off and on the court.FOCUSING ON THE OPPONENT: Both teams were already talking about the first-round matchups.“It’s just a different style of basketball going into the playoffs, especially with that team (the Thunder),” Derrick Favors said. We just know it’s something we’ve got to be prepared for, be ready for. We’ve got to be mentally strong going in and just be ready to play, but also have fun and enjoy it.”Lillard noted that Portland split the regular season series with the Pelicans.“They stole one from us here, and we felt like that was a game that we should have had. We had a bad third quarter,” Lillard said. “But they have Anthony Davis, Jrue Holiday, Rondo, E’Twaun Moore, they’ve got a lot of guys that make them a dangerous team.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast View commentslast_img read more

North High Brewing supports Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest  Leave a CommentA $5,000 contribution from North High Brewing to the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation expands a unique partnership between two organizations with shared values.  The North High Brewing/Farm Bureau relationship began last year when the two partnered on the release of Cover Crop beer, created to help celebrate Ohio Farm Bureau’s 100th anniversary. The beer features locally grown farm products, which was a priority for both organizations. It has enjoyed great acceptance by both craft beer enthusiasts and Ohio’s farm community with its popularity far exceeding expectations.  The beer’s name was chosen to reflect the two organizations’ commitment to nature. The term Cover Crop honors the revival of a farming practice that sustains the land and its surrounding environment.  According to Jason McKibben, brewmaster at North High Brewing, “Every brewery in Ohio uses Ohio water and the largest ingredient in every beer is water. High quality beer can only be made with high quality water. It is with these facts in mind that North High Brewing is making a contribution to the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation in support of its environmental stewardship and conservation initiatives. Ohio farmers across the state have made great strides to minimize their impact on the Ohio waterways and we endorse their continued efforts.”  Improving the environment is one of the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation’s priority goals. North High Brewing’s contribution will support the Foundation’s Healthy Water Ohio Fund. “The generosity of our friends at North High Brewing will help accomplish our mission,” said Chris Baker, executive director of the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation. To learn more about North High Brewing and Cover Crop beer, visit northhighbrewing.com. Ohio Farm Bureau maintains a directory of where to find Cover Crop beer.  To learn about and support the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation, visit ofbf.org/foundation.This is a news release for use by journalists. Questions should be directed to Joe Cornely, 614-246-8230.  Leave a Commentlast_img read more

Feds spool up outreach to Hispanics in US to ward off more

first_imgOTTAWA – A Liberal MP is heading to Los Angeles this week for a pre-emptive strike against misinformation about Canada’s immigration system circulating in the Spanish-language press that officials worry could inspire a new wave of asylum seekers.Central Americans have long been thought of as the next population primed to make the journey across the Canada-U.S. border due to major changes on the horizon in U.S. immigration policy. That includes the potential end of temporary protected status for nearly 350,000 Salvadorans and Hondurans, meaning all could face deportation to their home countries.Spanish-speaking MP Pablo Rodriguez had already been tapped as the likely federal point-person for outreach to Hispanics in the U.S., but his trip to L.A. on Friday has been given new impetus.On Aug. 30, the Spanish-language publication La Prensa reported that the Canadian government was set to welcome Hondurans living in the U.S. with temporary protected status, quoting a community organizer who said he had been contacted by the Canadian Embassy to explore programs.Except that never happened.The piece mirrored those that had been circulating in Creole-language traditional and social media earlier this summer, cited by some of the Haitians who have arrived in Canada in recent weeks as the reason they decided to come north from the U.S. Since July, some 7,000 asylum seekers have crossed into Canada from Quebec, the majority Haitian.The surge prompted the Liberal government to hastily arrange for a Creole-speaking MP to visit Miami to try to stem the flow of arrivals. The number of people crossing per day currently sits at under 100, from a high of over 250 this summer. According to multiple government sources, just over 60 people arrived Tuesday.But the Liberals are mindful that a decline now doesn’t mean the problem is over. Rodriguez is being dispatched to “neutralize” any misunderstandings about Canada’s system before they gain too much ground, a senior government official said.The Montreal MP, born in Argentina, will make the rounds of Hispanic media in L.A. as well as meet with members of the Honduran and El Salvadoran communities and local officials.“I’ll be able to communicate with them and tell them exactly how things are in Canada,” Rodriguez said Wednesday. “We have a system in place, a system that works and that has to be respected.”The La Prensa piece was spotted as a result of a much broader monitoring effort launched by the Liberal government at the height of the surge in Haitian arrivals in late July and early August.Consulates are on alert to keep close tabs on local media for discussion of Canada’s immigration and asylum policies, so when officials in Honduras spotted the La Prensa article they flagged it immediately to their bosses in Ottawa.The reporter at the paper was contacted, and the next day another article appeared clarifying that Canada has no program in the works for Hondurans, and if someone has temporary protected status in the U.S. it is not granted automatically in Canada.The unnamed government spokesperson in the article also noted that if people seek asylum in Canada, they could risk their protected status in the U.S.Refugee claims by Salvadorans and Hondurans do appear to be increasing in Canada. In the first three months of 2017, 255 claims for asylum were lodged, compared to 380 in all of 2016.Canada currently deports failed asylum claimants from El Salvador and Honduras back to their home countries.last_img read more

Announcing the TVO Short Doc Contest 2018 Calling all Ontarians to share

first_imgTwitter tvokids.com Bell Fibe TV SD 209 Shaw Direct SD 353 BlackBerry World On air: iTunes YouTube TORONTO, April 9, 2018 – TVO Short Doc Contest 2018 is calling all Ontarians to enter their short documentaries by July 15, 2018 for a chance to win great prizes. The theme for this year’s contest is DIY Docs, and it encourages all residents of Ontario to submit their video stories and share their perspective on a subject they feel passionate about. No previous documentary making experience is required. tvo.org/ilc Facebook Rogers channel 2 Online: “TVO’s Short Doc Contest is a meaningful way to share compelling stories with a wide audience. It also offers an important opportunity for aspiring Ontario filmmakers to jumpstart their careers,” says Hannah Sung, TVO Manager, Digital Video. “We want people to be curious, ask questions, and offer a unique perspective.”Participants are invited to enter original short documentaries up to 4 minutes and 45 seconds in length. During the entry period, TVO will share documentary filmmaking tips and best practices through several inspirational videos at tvo.org/shortdoc and on TVO’s social media channels. This series of videos will feature award-winning filmmakers Charles Officer (Unarmed Verses), Min Sook Lee (Migrant Dreams), and Lewis Gordon (the first-place winner of TVO’s Short Docs Contest 2017). The first video, “What is a documentary?”, explores the surprisingly elastic definition of what constitutes a documentary film. Subsequent videos will include tips on shooting and interviewing. Cable ch. 2 (may vary in some areas) Bell Fibe TV HD 1209 Bell Mobile TV Contest Schedule:Now through July 15, 2018 – Submit short documentaries at tvo.org/shortdoc.July 16 to August 26, 2018 – Judging panel selects the finalists.August 27 to September 19, 2018 – Public voting for the People’s Choice Award at tvo.org/shortdoc.September 20, 2018 – Winners announced.Prizing:The exciting line-up of prizes includes cash, Hot Docs Festival passes, a Twitter Canada workshop, as well as memberships for TIFF and the Documentary Organization of Canada:First prize: $2000 in cash, a pass to the Hot Docs Festival in 2019, a one-year membership to the Documentary Organization of Canada, and a pitch session with TVO’s Executive Producer of Documentaries, Jane Jankovic.Second prize: $1000 in cash, a best practices workshop at Twitter Canada, and a one-year membership to TIFF for two people.Third prize: $500 in cash and two tickets to the Canadian Film Centre’s annual BBQ fundraiser during the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival.Best “short short”:  New this year, this prize recognizes the best “short, short” doc which is 90 seconds in length or under. The winner will receive $500 in cash and a pass to the Hot Docs Festival in 2019.The People’s Choice Award: As voted on by the public, this winner will receive $1000 in cash, one year of free admission to all programming at the DOC Institute, and a professional consultation with a DOC Institute board member.All winners will receive a one-year Hot Docs Cinema bronze membership, and finalists will have their documentaries showcased on tvo.org. The top winners will see their documentaries air on TVO.Judging:All submissions are screened by a panel of judges including: distinguished documentary filmmaker Alanis Obomsawin; 2017 TVO Short Doc Contest first-prize winner, Lewis Gordon; award-winning short documentary filmmaker and interactive storyteller Shasha Nakhai; and Linda Fong, independent production officer at TVO.For more information on the TVO Short Doc Contest 2018, visit www.tvo.org/shortdoc, and follow us @tvodocs on Twitter and Facebook using #TVOShortDoc.About TVOAs the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning. TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, thought-provoking documentaries, and award-winning TVOkids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.Where to find TVO Google Play Advertisement Twitter tvo.org Shaw Direct HD 39 Bell TV 265 Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Facebook Advertisementlast_img read more