Wanted Free FM journalists find refuge in South African embassy

first_img The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Receive email alerts Follow the news on Madagascar South Africa’s embassy in Madagascar has granted refuge to two Free FM journalists, Lalatiana Rakotondrazafy and Fidel Razara Pierre, and one of the radio station’s technicians, the embassy said in statement on 7 September.The two journalists are wanted by the police on charges of inciting hate and conspiracy against state security for broadcasting a statement by one of the soldiers involved in a mutiny as it was taking place on 22 July. The station suspended broadcasting on the evening of 22 July after being threatened by the authorities.Davis Rakotoarijaoana, a reporter who covers politics for the daily Midi Madagasikara, was summoned for questioning by the DST, an intelligence agency, on 17 August after writing an article that quoted Rakotondrazafy. The DST wanted Rakotoarijaoana to help locate her.—–2012.07.24 – Opposition radio suspends broadcasts after mutiny at military baseReporters Without Borders deplores the fact that Free FM, an opposition radio station based in Antananarivo, has been off the air for the past two days after angering Andry Rajoelina’s transitional government by broadcasting a message by mutineering soldiers that announced the “dissolution of the current state institutions.”In a Facebook post on the evening of 22 July, Free FM director Lalatiana Rakotondrazafy wrote: “For the safety of its employees and its equipment, Free FM has decided to suspend its broadcasts (…) we take responsibility for this decision.”“It is regrettable that the political tug-of-war of the past few months between the transitional authorities and radio Free FM has resulted in a suspension of broadcasting by what is the last opposition radio station,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge the two sides to enter into a dialogue as the only way to avoid further loss of freedom of information in the political crisis that has been going on for more than three years.“With the two main protagonists of this crisis – transitional leader Andry Rajoelina and ousted president Marc Ravalomanana – due to meet this week, it is crucial that Free FM should be able to resume broadcasting without being exposed to danger and with its presenters acting with the appropriate caution and responsibility.”The mutiny by soldiers in the early morning of 22 July led to clashes at the base of the 1st Intervention Forces Regiment (RFI) near Antananarivo international airport at Ivato. As a safety measure, the airport was closed and all flights were suspended. The mutiny was eventually put down.Immediately after the start of the mutiny, Free FM broadcast a communiqué by the mutineers announcing the suspension of political institutions and the “creation of a military directorate.”Communication minister Harry Laurent Rahajason, a former journalist better known by the pen-name of Rolly Mercia, reacted by announcing that Free FM was “liable to be prosecuted for complicity in an attack on state security (…) spreading false reports and inciting hatred and revolt.”In the wake of the communication minister’s statement, soldiers loyal to the transitional government raided the station and disconnected its electricity supply. After realizing it was still broadcasting, the solders went back at around 7 p.m. to seize its broadcast equipment. The equipment had already been moved to safe location as a pre-emptive measure, according to Rakotondrazafy, who nonetheless finally decided to “turn off the microphones.” Protest on 19 may responded to a call from Free FM (AFP/Andreea CAMPEANU) News News MadagascarAfrica Help by sharing this information April 16, 2020 Find out more Photo : from left to right, Soavina Ralaisoavamanjaka, Lalatiana Rakotondrazafy, Andry Rajoelina et son épouse Mialy, Fidèle Razarapiera and Harry Laurent Rahajason MadagascarAfrica Reportscenter_img Madagascar : Sabotage silences TV channel that criticized coronavirus measures News Organisation April 30, 2021 Find out more to go further _ Pressure on “political” radio stationAccording to Agence France-Presse, between 3,000 and 5,000 people responded to a call from Free FM last May to march in protest against the government and threats to close the station. The police used violence to disperse the demonstration, which was not authorized.At the start of May, Rakotondrazafy and her colleague, Fidèle Razarapiera, spent 24 hours in police custody and were charged with defamation, broadcasting false information and inciting hate. Their arrests came shortly after the station received two formal warnings from the Special Commission for Broadcasting Communication (CSCA).There have always been doubts about the independence of the CSCA, a regulatory authority headed by the communication minister. Free FM’s plight recalls that of Viva TV, a station owned by Rajoelina, now the transitional president, which was forcibly closed before the 2009 political upheaval. Rajoelina’s media company immediately reacted by creating a talk show called “Anao ny Fitenenana” (You have the word), that was virulent in its criticism of the then government and was hosted by Rakotondrazafy, Razarapiera, Rahajason and another journalist, Soavina Ralaisoavamanjaka.The team of presenters was finally disbanded a few months after the High Transitional Authority’s creation. Some of them joined the new government, others joined the opposition.Madagascar has been hard pressed to recover a degree of stability because of the failure of negotiations between the various political parties and because of sporadic mutinies and demonstrations. Elections have been postponed three times since May 2011. A new date is to be set in an electoral timetable due on 1 August. November 27, 2020 Find out more RSF_en September 12, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Wanted Free FM journalists find refuge in South African embassy RSF urges Madagascar to let journalists cover Covid-19 freelylast_img read more

Parma Ham, Mozzarella and Taleggio Kebabs plus a readers offer

first_imgEmail Twitter NewsParma Ham, Mozzarella and Taleggio Kebabs plus a readers offerBy admin – November 26, 2009 654 Previous articleGolden & glazedNext articleDevelopment plans for 5-series by BMW admin Linkedin These stylish kebabs can star as a starter, snack or canapé, making them perfect for any festive event. Simply wrap Parma Ham around cubes of focaccia, mozzarella and Taleggio and thread onto kebab sticks, along with baby plum tomatoes. When you are ready to start cooking, just baste the kebabs in olive oil and sizzle away for 2-3 minutes under a piping hot grill. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up WHAT YOU NEED12 slices Parma Ham, cut into strips4 slices focaccia or ciabatta, cut into cubes2 x 125g packs mozzarella cheese, drained and cut into chunks250g Italian Taleggio cheese, cut into chunks16 baby plum tomatoes2-3 tbsp olive oil, for bastingPea shoots or salad leaves, to serveWHAT TO DOPreheat the barbecue or grill. Soak 8 wooden kebab sticks in hot water for 5 minutes to help prevent them from burningWrap Parma Ham strips around the cubes of bread, mozzarella and Taleggio cheese, threading them onto wooden kebab sticks with the tomatoesBaste the kebabs with olive oil, then cook them for 2 to 3 minutes on the barbecue or under the grill, turning once or twiceServe immediately with the pea shoots or salad leavesCook’s tip: If you can’t find Taleggio, just use another 2 packs of mozzarella. Readers offerThis parma ham recipe come courtesy of the Parma Ham Consortium and they are giving away 25 copies of their new glossy recipe book, Prosciutto di Parma, featuring 14 stylish yet simple recipes, exclusively to Limerick Post readers.To receive a free copy, simply email your details to Jocelyn [email protected] at the Parma Ham Consortium or you can send them a postcard with your name and address to Parma Ham/Limerick Post Newspaper, c/o The Dialogue Agency, 8 Oak Lane, Twickenham TW1 3PA, United Kingdom. center_img Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook Printlast_img read more

Dominica government embarks upon massive project in the City

first_img Tweet LocalNews Dominica government embarks upon massive project in the City by: – March 30, 2012 Hon. Roosevelt Skerrit. Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has announced that his government is willing to work with various private sector entities in Roseau as it seeks to embark upon a new sidewalk project in the city.The prime minister revealed earlier this week that government will soon be erecting sidewalks in Roseau geared at controlling traffic and further enhancing the city.He also noted that government will soon construct apartment buildings in Roseau which will cost US$40 million.According to the prime minister, one of the apartments will be erected in the Boys Avenue.“The bulk of the apartments will be in Bath Estate, where the old housing division was located. Government has some couple of acres of land there. I believe it would lend itself to a very nice community there. Government has also acquired a substantial amount of land in the Boys Avenue area”.He said the intention would have been to use the Kennedy Avenue, Pound area but there is a challenge in relocating the residents of these areas.“You must build houses first to relocate these people. The intention is to acquire these buildings because a lot of the derelict buildings are owned by people. Either they are dead or out of state so we are looking to acquire them to build more apartments and extend the private sector,” he said.Meantime Prime Minister Skerrit says government will also be embarking upon drainage project in Roseau.Dominica Vibes News Share Sharing is caring!center_img Share 29 Views   one comment Sharelast_img read more